Logo Malouin assurance


Condo insurance

Co-ownership with peace of mind.

Condo owners, you should know that your home is protected by two insurance contracts. In fact, your home is covered by the co-owner's policy as well as the syndicate of co- ownership's policy. The first protects your property, any improvements made to your condo, and civil liability. The second one also covers civil liability for the whole premises, in addition to the building itself.

Accueil | Home insurance | Condo insurance

Get a quote

Fill out our form in less than a minute to get a quick quote. You can also contact one of our brokers!

1 888 625-6846

Different types of condominiums

As long as a building is owned by more than one person, it is held in co-ownership. There are two types of co-ownership, divided and undivided.

Divided co-ownership insurance

Also known as condominiums, these allow a building to be subdivided into portions. Some of these portions belong only to their owner: these are the private portions. The common areas belong to all the co-owners, in proportion. This is the case for the roof, the exterior walls or the land. A syndicate of co-ownership is responsible for the maintenance of the common areas.


Find your condo insurance easily online!

Undivided co-ownership insurance

An undivided co-ownership is when several people acquire real estate and own a share of it. They will then draw up an undivided co-ownership agreement to establish the rules, which must be respected by all owners. These rules may address the obligations and rights of each owner with respect to maintenance, use of the premises, expenses, etc. To learn more about the different types of condominiums, you can consult the Éducaloi website. Make sure you understand what each type of condominium entails in terms of protection. Your Malouin Assurance broker can help you understand this.

Money-Saving tips

Did you know?

As with any home insurance, there are certain things you can do to save money. Do you have an alarm system? Have you installed a water leak detector? All good! Mention all of this to your broker!

Get customized advice directly from your Malouin Assurance broker:




1 888 625-6846

Alarm system

Depending on the type of alarm system installed at your property, you may be able to obtain certain discounts.

Water leak detector

Get a substantial discount on your home insurance premium by installing water leak detectors.
Blogue sur l'assurance - Malouin assurance

Basic coverage

Condo insurance covers civil liability, theft, fire, and vandalism.
Civil liability
To will cover damages that could be caused to a third party in case of an incident on your property.

Theft, fire and vandalism

Get peace of mind with coverage against theft, fire, and vandalism.

Your condo is your castle. The place where you feel most secure. That’s why your condo insurance should allow you to know that you are truly protected. You can’t plan for everything, but you can make sure that you are well prepared in case something happens.

Additional coverage

Different realities? Different options!

Depending on your reality and your risk tolerance, you may want to upgrade your coverage. You can add options to your basic coverage.

Legal protection option

This additional protection is ideal in the event of legal concerns.

Water damage option

To protect you in the event of damage caused by a broken water inlet or overflow, a leak or accidental sewer backup.

Relocation in case of disaster option

This additional coverage will allow you to purchase temporary housing.

General questions


I'm renting my condo: how do I get insurance?

Keep in mind that the insurance of the co-owner from whom you are renting the condo will not compensate you in the event of a loss. In this case, as for any apartment, protecting your personal belongings is your responsibility. Although it is not legally required, it would be wise to have tenant insurance. For more advice, contact us! We will be happy to answer all your questions.

What is Bill 141?

Bill 141 was adopted on June 13, 2018. It amends the Civil Code of Quebec regarding divided co-ownership insurance. These changes involve, among other things:

  • Mandatory civil liability insurance for co-owners;
  • The establishment of a self-insurance fund to collect money for, among other things, financing work or repairs;
  • Etc.

To learn more about Bill 141, you can consult the summary prepared by the Regroupement des gestionnaires et copropriétaires du Québec.

What is Bill 16?

Bill 16 was adopted by the National Assembly on December 5, 2019. Like Bill 141, Bill 16 amends the law for divided co-ownership in Quebec. It incorporates new provisions regarding building maintenance, the obligations of the board of directors or the co- ownership registry.

To learn more about Bill 16, you can consult the summary prepared by the Regroupement des gestionnaires et copropriétaires du Québec.


I am Arthur, your intelligent virtual assistant in property and casualty insurance.

I was named in honor of the founder of Malouin Assurance, Arthur Malouin. I hope I can serve you with the same level of care as Arthur did. You can ask me questions, request a quote or communicate directly with a broker (by phone or via chat).

To find the best coverage for you for condo insurance.

We work with the best suppliers
Having a hard time finding your way around all the insurance companies? We are here to advise you and to find the best coverage for your needs, based on your reality. This is the role of a broker, and we take it seriously.

Simply excellent service!

Annabelle Perras

Professional and efficient brokers!

Michel Bédard

Quote request

We will answer you as soon as possible.

Fill out our form and our agents will be pleased to process your request to your complete satisfaction. They will then contact you as soon as possible!




1 888 625-6846

Malouin assurance blog

Discover tips on how make your daily life easier, and find answers to your questions.